Sunday 8 April 2018

Grandmother's Iced Tea Bread



My grandmother was definitely one for an afternoon tea or high tea. She was a fabulous baker and I have many fond memories of her being up a the crack of doom and baking bread. It was such a glorious smell to wake up to and as soon as I smell fresh bread all those memories come flooding back.  One of the things she used to make  was tea bread.  When she made it of course it was still loose leaf tea. No tea bags in our house. She would make a large pot of tea, stronger enough to stand a spoon up in as she would have said. She would have a cup and the rest was used to make her tea bread.  My grandmother died when I was 10 years old and although my mother made the same tea bread it never was quite the same as my grandmothers, maybe it was just that she hadn't made it that was missing.   I haven't made tea bread for a long time but with spring finally peeping around the corner, even if its threatening rain again today, I thought I would resurrect my grandmothers tea bread just for you.

You will need a 900g (2lb) loaf tin which you will need to grease and line or if like me you have loaf tin liners, which you can purchase at most supermarkets these days, that will work just as well I've never used the silicone liners they have now so not sure whether one of those would work or not.

The ingredients you will need



225g (8oz) raisins
115g (4oz) sultanas
300m; (1/2) pint of strong hot tea
225g (8oz) light brown sugar
300g (10 1/2 oz) Self raising flour
11/2 tsp ground mixed spice
1 egg beaten
175g (6oz) icing sugar
5-6 tsp orange juice



In Preparation
The night before you intend to make your tea bread you will need to place the raisins and sultanas in a large bowl, pour over the hot tea and stir to mix. Cover and leave to soak overnight.



The next day, preheat the oven to 170C/325F/gas mark 3. Grease and line a 900g (2lb) loaf tin and set aside. Stir the brown sugar into the dried fruit mixture, then sift in the flour and mixed spice. Add the egg and stir with a wooden spoon until thoroughly mixed.


Turn the mixture into the loaf tin and level the surface. Bake for 1 1/4 hours, or until risen and firm to touch - a fine skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean or in my case a knitting needle. The skewer being something else I've not found since we moved house. 
Remove the loaf from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
Combine the icing sugar and orange juice to make a thick icing. Spread this icing evenly over the top of the cake. Leave to set.



Tea bread is nice at anytime of the day but is especially nice with a well earned cuppa. Its a very moist bread and simply delicious. I can't tell you how long it will last in an air tight container because quite frankly it doesn't last long enough in our house to be able to tell you.

Enjoy

Mx 

36 comments:

  1. Ooh I need to make this, thank you for the recipe Mitzi Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Cathy its absolutely delicious I can't stop eating it, no wonder I don't make it too often I'll be the size of a house.
      Hope you enjoy it too but be warned its addictive.

      Mitzi x

      Delete
    2. Hi Mitzi, you'll notice I've clicked to follow you but I can't add you to my sidebar to show 'which blogs I follow.' When I put your blog address in it sends me to Ravelry. I will set it up now (for a few days only) - just so you can click on it and see what I mean. I hope you can shed some light on it. I will need to take it off again. Cathy x

      Delete
    3. Hi Cathy I think I'd made a mistake within settings try removing and putting https://lazydaysandsundays-mitzi.blogspot.co.uk/ back in and hopefully it will work. Please let me know if it doesn't and I will have to have a more indepth look at what I've done to cause the error.

      Mitzi

      Delete
    4. It seems to be working now, thank you. You are in the side bar - with a photo. Have a good week. Cx

      Delete
    5. I’ve suddenly been able to see all your posts too which I couldn’t a couple of weeks ago. Thanks. B x

      Delete
    6. I've had a fiddle about in the settings. My fault so thank you for letting me know hopefully it is all working as it should be now.

      Delete
  2. I can't remember ever having tea bread, does is actually taste of the tea? My grandma was a fabulous baker too, she always made her own bread and even after her sons had married and left home she made enough to send loaves and oven bottom cakes home with them when they visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you can't taste the tea at all, but it gives it a nice soft & moist texture. I have bought some into the office and needless to say it hasn't lasted very long so I suspect I will be making another one. Its funny how I remember my grandmother and her apron of many pockets always baking but I don't remember my mother doing it so much but I'm sure she must have done as they did so much together. I don't think my mum ever really got over the death of her mother she was such a huge part of her life. It's nice to make things that remind me of my childhood and the time I spent with her.

      Delete
  3. The recipe sounds delicious. I've never tried tea bread with icing before. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious, I say was as I bought some into the office and there were only a couple of slices left which I think will have been snuffled by the time I get home.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  4. Love tea bread and haven’t made one for ages. I may well give your recipe a go. Thanks. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't made it for a while and there was something about tea bread on the tv and that was it I was back in the kitchen to soak the fruit and make a loaf. It never lasts long as its quite moreish. In fact I've put fruit to soak this morning so I can make another one to bring into work on Friday. The diet has gone out of the window again.... Mitzi

      Delete
  5. This recipe sounds wonderful and the tea bread looks delicious! I want to try the recipe one of these days! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should Angela I don't think you will be disappointed. Making a second one tonight.....

      Delete
  6. I don't think that I've ever tried tea bread, but it looks and sounds delicious. Thank you for the recipe. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I told them in the office I had made tea bread their immediate response was can you taste the tea, but no you can't it just gives it a good texture and makes it very light but moist. It doesn't have butter in but it does have an egg.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  7. I love tea bread, it reminds me of my mum. I don't do much baking now I'm on my own (because I've got absolutely no willpower!) but I do miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could half the ingredients and make smaller loaf but even if you made a 2lb loaf it will keep if kept in an air tight container. I’ve made another ne to take to work tomorrow. Well you have to have treat every now and then😊

      Delete
  8. This looks SO good. I've not made a tea-bread for ages and never with icing - I shall try this ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummmmm, I love a tea loaf and icing it sounds a great idea.
    Thanks for your comment over at my blog.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re very welcome Jacqui. Hope you get to give the tea bread ago you won’t be disappointed😊

      Delete
  10. We are tea bread and fruit loaf eaters. We love them. Although I don't ice them, we use them as 'fuel' for walking and I can imagine how sticky it would be if they were iced :) thanks for commenting on my blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part I am the only one in our house that eats fruit loaf but even the fussy eaters like this tea bread. It is very nice with the icing on top but agree not sure how it would fare if taking out walking, although the icing does set well. I have taken to a picnic in the past and it survived but I'm sure our walk would not been as far as you guys go. I enjoyed reading your blog and have popped your details in the blogs I follow.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. It really is delicious as its very light and moist for a tea bread and very moreish at the same time. Apart from the soaking of the fruit the night before it takes very little preparation time. It spends the majority of the time to make it in the oven which sends gorgeous smells all around the house.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  12. I love a slice of tea bread with tea. Not sure I've ever had an iced one though, that's something I must give a go for sure!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The icing complements the taste really well Lisa. Its a very light and moist tea bread the only I have is to stop eating it..... No wonder I don't make it too often I would be the size of a house.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  13. What a lovely thing to make and remember your granny by. My mother has my granny's old recipe book which I hope I inherit one day. The bread looks delicious, thank you for the recipe. I feel with all this running I can justify making (and more to the point, eating) things like this! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I definitely think it can be included as part of your five a day and as fuel to give you energy for all that running. A lot of people have said they’ve not had it with icing before but I think it delicious with it and compliments the tea bread. You don’t have to use the icing I do you could put what you want on top. My lot don’t like Christmas cake but they’ll eat this. I suppose it’s a lighter texture and not laced with brandy😀

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh I think I will put one soaking this morning...we love our tea bread here but Si have never iced one before. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do hope you like it. I've made another one this weekend to take into work tomorrow. We take it in turns to take in a treat usually on a Friday but one of the crew was off on Friday so we are having treat day tomorrow instead and it's my turn.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  16. I do love old grandma recipes and can’t wait to try this one .. I love fruit bread .... so I just know that this will be delicious...thank you for haring...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. I love sharing recipes and finding new ones otherwise how else do you find lots of nice things to make. Its all about the sharing of ideas, tips and hints etc that makes blogland such a resourceful place to be. I do hope you enjoy the tea bread.

      Mitzi

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...